Parental encouragement and involvement play a crucial role in a child’s learning capabilities.
As a parent, you can be a helping hand in your child’s educational journey. Here are four simple techniques to get you started.
How can a parent be more involved in a child’s education?
Monitor the learning habits: It is important to oversee your child’s learning habits. Their general learning habits are closely linked to how they perform in their exams. But do not force them to study hard, instead, give them friendly advice and share some of your own experiences.
Stay connected with teachers: Maintaining good parent-teacher relationships is essential. While teachers can be an expert in teaching, you are the expert on your child. You may share/receive and implement feedback from teachers. It is an effective way to keep track of how your child has been doing in his/her studies.
Help them with Homework: There are two ways to do this. #1 The old way; Sit beside your child and answer the questions and fix the mistake s/he makes. #2 The smart way; Just be available when your child needs you. The smart way helps empower your child to do the homework on his/her own and prevents you from taking over.
Set up a schedule: An average child in India spends about 6 to 7 hours a day in school, that is about 130 hours or 21 school days more than students in other countries. It is important not to overburden kids with more study time. You can help kids balance their time between lessons, playtime, and rest. When creating a schedule do it together, allow your child to add some special things like a little game time, snack time, or reading time. It will help them with the transition from one activity to the next.
How can I be involved in my child’s education when I am busy with work?
Make use of EdTech: For parents who are busy balancing their work, EdTech can be the ideal solution. EdTechs like BYJU’S, help parents stay up-to-date with their child’s progress and performance.
Before we get to the parents’ side of the benefits, here are some of the benefits that kids can enjoy with the BYJU’S app:
- Personalized learning programs are designed for every child.
- Visually rich learning content that helps kids learn, understand and remember what they have learnt in a better way.
- Engaging and interactive learning modules.
- Dedicated mentors help the child at every stage.
The parent connect app by BYJU’S, is designed to provide a real-time updates to parents such that they are more involved with the child’s progress.
The parent connect app comes with the following features:
- Detailed progress report of each subject and chapter.
- List of achievements of the child.
- Time graph to show the amount of time spent by the child on the learning app.
- Test and practice report to let parents know which subject/s the child is lagging.
- Suggested actions to improve the performance.
- All this data is available at your fingertips i.e. on your mobile phone.
A Parent is a child’s first teacher, and when the parent transforms into a learning partner, the child is more likely to do better in school. This is what we feel.